Saturday, June 20, 2009

Networking can get you a job

Networking can get you a job!

In fact it’s the No. 1 way to do so.

Take a look at the questions below and check out your networking quota.
0= I do not do up to 5 = I consistently do

Meeting People:
Who do you know?
• It’s important not just to meet people, but to let them feel they know me: I know it's not who I know, but who knows me that counts
I "connect" effectively daily with people I meet either formally or informally
• I smile when I answer the phone because I know the person on the other end can hear it
• I don’t wait for others to introduce themselves to me: I go ahead and introduce myself
• I’ll be one of the first to arrive at any meeting or group to give me more chance to meet more people
• I make connections for others, by introducing them to each other
• People usually seem relaxed and comfortable in my company: I am approachable, friendly, kind and polite
• My handshake is always firm, but not strong enough to cause pain, and I look the other person in the eye as we shake hands.
• I frequently enlist others help by asking “Do you know anyone who….?”

Communicating with others:
Effective communication
I use active listening skills, so others know I am interested and listening
• I always read a business card when I receive it, and comment if appropriate
• When I receive a business card, I write on the back of it any information about that person I wish to remember
• When someone is telling me something, I ask questions to show interest and to get more information
• I work at remembering names, jobs and businesses of people I meet
• I have a effective 30-second introduction that tells who I am, what I do and what I am looking for
• I understand that every time I meet another person it can be considered a “networking event”
• I believe in “give to get” and I offer any help or assistance I can to those I meet

Connecting is of premium importance
Make an impact. What do you want to be remembered for?
• My business/ networking cards are up to date and in good condition, and I always have plenty with me
• I know the ideal time to give out my business/networking card is at the end of a conversation, not at the beginning
• I keep the business cards I receive, and check regularly to see remind myself of all the connections I have made
• I go to meetings and am involved with networking and professional organizations appropriate to my field
• When I go to networking events I have an agenda to meet a specific number of new people and do not just chat to people I know until I have achieved this goal.
Follow up
Keeping in touch
• I take the time to think of ways to continue connecting with others I have met
• I return e-mails and phone calls within 24 hours or less whenever possible
• When making a business or job related phone call, I am prepared for either a live person or voice mail, and come across sounding professional and organized.
• I keep my promises and follow up on commitments so others come to think of someone who can be trusted

Not many people can score 5 for every question, but obviously the higher your score the better you are doing at networking. So take a look at your lower scores and consider ways you can improve in these areas.

Finding work is all about people, who you know and who knows you.

No comments: